TICKETS available at http://www.burgerboys.com/

MiNiMumWage: The Burgerboy Chronicles

Current happenings with the new Off Broadway show, MINIMUM WAGE and crew members!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Huatulco...so far!

Pina Palmera


















So I´ve finally been able to get to email-it hasn´t been easy. Great journey from NYC to Denver to Huatulco on Saturday! I don´t have much time to write, so i´ll try to throw down some pics.













"Muchas Maletas Sin Similares"



I can tell you this-This group of people that I am working with are AMAZING!!-Things got off to a very exciting start. We almost lost two of our team, Gary and Duann at the flight changeover in Denver (they were both transporting important equipment; scopes, telometers, sutures and other assorted medical supplies-- it´s a good thing they made the flight as there wasn´t another one til a week later.)

















"Senor Gary, our Interpreter and Dr. Brian LaGreca, our Opthamologisticalifragilistic."



...I fully anticipated working in any capacity for which I was needed, BUT on our first day at the clinic, Duann (our awesome Circulating Nurse) got sick AND I had to fill in for her!! Ha ha! I was kind of nervous at first, but then I was fine. I ended up assisting in 4 eye surgeries that day and 5 more the next day!! In fact, I never thought I would say this seriously, but "they need me back in surgery!" ha ha!


Check out the pics below!

Con mucho gusto,

El Jeffe






Cerro Largo, where we are staying. Most days are very busy, but on our first day here, my bro and I managed to get out for a surfing excursion. (or as I like to call it: an "eating-sand-and-swallowing-salt-water" excursion.)











This is Joyce, another fantastic volunteer and Dr. Tracy´s mom. The man to her left is the one and only, David Duprey. He got this whole thing started; quite an energetic, interesting, incredible and vivacious man.







Duann and Dr. Tracy. Tranquilete!








Patients waiting to be examined: Some people walk from miles away and have never had any kind of health care in their lives. They are amazingly friendly and patient, sometimes waiting late into the evening for surgery...and never a complaint.








David and I suited up for surgery!









This is my favorite pic so far. The next day after surgery, the patients from the day before arrive to have there bandages removed. Many of them are legally blind and have not seen clearly in years! It is joyous, emotional and rewarding for all.








This truck costs something like 9 BILLION pesos!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home